Yak Logistics Europe Ltd is registered as a Data Controller with the ICO (UK Information Commissioners Office). Our registration number is ZA653849.
The data protection principles
The Data Protection Laws require the Company acting as either data controller or data processor to process data in accordance with the principles of data protection. These require that personal data is:
- Processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner;
- Collected for specified and legitimate purposes and not further processed in a manner that is incompatible with those purposes;
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary in relation to the purposes for which they are processed;
- Accurate and kept up to date; every reasonable step must be taken to ensure that personal data that are inaccurate, having regard to the purposes for which they are processed, are erased or rectified without delay;
- Kept for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which the personal data are processed;
- Processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal data, including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing and against accidental loss, destruction or damage, using appropriate technical or organisational measures; and that
- The data controller shall be responsible for, and be able to demonstrate, compliance with the principles.
The information we collect
The personal information that we may collect for our customer, partner or supplier personal information eg name, contact details/email address relating to activities such as:
- access to Yak Logistics web site/applications
- shipment activities which may include delivery, collections and tracking
- public events in which we participate
- marketing, promotions and other offers
The types of personal Information which we may collect
- Names, email addresses and telephone numbers for which we have received requests to send information
- Social media, content and data posted on our social media pages or on the internet ie public locations, and information such as email addresses and other information you allow to be shared which we obtain through Yak related social media, including third-party login services such as ‘login with Facebook’
- Any other personal information that may be provided to our business in the process of securing Yak services.
During the process of delivering a shipment or providing other services, we may obtain actual location data. eg data which identifies the actual location of a physical address using information such as GPS data, geocodes, latitude and longitude information and images of the various locations.
From using our websites, we may collect some information by automated means, eg cookies. Information collected in this manner includes IP address, unique device identifier, browser characteristics, operating system, language preferences, linked URL’s, information relating to actions and activity dates and times.
The providers of third-party apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins on our website, such as Facebook “Like” button, also may use automated means to collect information regarding your interactions with these features. This information is subject to the privacy policies or notices of these providers.
How we use the information we collect about you
- Provide contractual services
- Process and collect payments
- Provision of customer support, responding and communicating to you regarding your requests, questions and comments.
- Management of your Yak account
- Providing you with information on our products and services which may be of interest to you.
- Communication regarding special events, programmes, surveys, contests, prize draws and other offers or promotions
- Opportunity for you to post on our blogs and interact with Yak Logistics via social media.
- Processing of claims we receive about our services
- Send information to your contacts if requested by you.
- Operate, evaluate and improve our business
- Perform data analysis
- Protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity
- Comply with applicable legal requirements and our policies
In addition, we use information collected online through cookies, and other automated means for purposes eg
- Customising our users’ visits to our website
- Delivering content (including advertising) tailored to our users’ interests and the way our users browse our website
- Managing our business
We may supplement data we collect through automated means with information about your location eg your postcode to provide you with content that may be of interest. We may also utilise this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our websites and gather demographic information about our users.
Through our website we may collect information regarding our online activities to provide you with advertising about our products and services which are tailored to your individual interests.
Transfer of Personal Information to Third Parties
We do not sell or otherwise share information about you, except as described in the Privacy Notice. Transfers of Personal Information to third parties can occur via actual physical or technical transfer, or by providing remote access to Personal Information. The Company will only transfer Personal Information to third parties :
- To the extent to fulfil the purpose for which the Personal Information is processed;
- For purposes to which the individual has provided consent; or
- As required by applicable law or legal process.
- Responses to requests by government agencies
- Situations which we believe it is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss or an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
The Company will only allow processing of Personal Information by third-party data processors which have agreed to appropriate contractual obligations regarding the processing of Personal Information, including:
- Processing Personal Information only at the direction of and for the specific purposes authorised by the Company;
- Protecting the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the Personal Information;
- Implementing commercially reasonable steps to protect Personal Information from loss, misuse, unauthorised access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction;
- Prohibiting sub-contractors/sub processors from Processing the Personal Information without prior written consent from the Company;
- Providing the Company with the right to review security measures to perform vendor risk assessments and submit processing facilities to inspection or audit by the Company or independent auditor;
- Promptly notifying the Company of any information security incident involving Personal Information.
If your preference is not to receive marketing email communications, or you would like to withdraw your consent or object to certain information being shared you may contact us as detailed in “How to contact us” section below.
In addition, as required by law, if you feel it is appropriate to object at any time on legitimate grounds, free of charge to the processing of your personal information, and we will apply your preferences going forward.
Accessing, updating and correcting your information
You may request a copy of certain personal information we maintain about you, or update or correct any incorrect information by contacting Yak Logistics Europe as detailed in “How to contact us” section of this Privacy Notice.
Sharing of Information Overseas
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorised destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Although we take steps to limit access to our facilities to authorised individuals, information that is located on the outside of a letter or package may be visible to others.
Updates to Our Privacy Notice
We keep our Privacy Notice under regular review. If we change our Privacy Notice we will post the changes on our website and also indicate at the top of this Privacy Notice when it was last updated, so that you may be aware of the information we collect and how we use it at all times.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions or comments regarding this Privacy Notice, or you would like us to update the information we have about you or your preferences, please contact Yak Logistics Europe, Data Protection Officer by email.
You may also write to
Yak Logistics Ltd
Attention: Data Protection Officer
Unit 1 Griggs Business Centre
Essex CO6 1NT